Pastoral care is the total climate of care which exists in a school. It reflects the broad Christian ethos of individuals caring for and respecting one another. At St Pius X College there is a strong focus within the College in the context of a shared partnership with parents in the formation and education of their son(s).
The elements in the Pastoral Care Network are:-
- Homeroom teachers and Guidance Co-ordinators
- Class teachers (Years 5 and 6)
- The Referral System
- Pastoral Care teams
- Sporting and co-curricular programmes
- Camps, retreats & excursions
- Prayer-room groups
- Parent/teacher nights
- Peer support programme
- Recognition and reward for achievement
- Prefects and seniors as leaders
- Class Captain (Years 5 and 6)
Key figures in our pastoral care of students are Guidance Co-ordinators, the College Counsellors and the Careers Advisor. Pastoral care teams exist in each year cohort. Senior students in Years 11 and 12 are also involved in leadership programmes with students from Year 11 directing Peer Support groups in Year 5 and 7. A programme of camps and retreats also reinforces our pastoral care philosophy.